Fire cider, also known as a master tonic, is a apple cider vinegar-based health tonic. Made with a healthy dose of herbs, vegetables, & fruits, fire cider is a spicy, tangy, & pungent oxymel (vinegar & honey-based) concoction used prominently in this house to keep all its inhabitants healthy throughout the year.
Fire cider is a warming, invigorating tonic that is a must-have for any home apothecary. This fermented brew is filled with naturally occurring probiotics. Healthy gut anyone? Fire cider contains many organically sourced vitamins & nutrients.
So what are the benefits of taking fire cider? Plenty. Here are a few that we know of. It’s all in the ingredients…literally.
- Antibacterial/Natural Antibiotic – Garlic, horseradish, & ginger all have strong antibacterial properties making this tonic a wonderful remedy for strep throat, chest infections, coughs, and congestion brought on by the common cold & flu.
- Improves Immune System – The alliin, a compound found within garlic, turns to allicin when crushed or chewed is known to provide multiple health benefits. This compound has been found to kill fungus & bacteria. In addition, once allicin is stimulated, it turns quickly into “sulphur-containing compounds thought to give garlic its medicinal properties”. These sulphur compounds also known as thiosulfinates, “play an important role in the antimicrobial activity of garlic” according to Oregon State University. In addition, horseradish contains glucosinolates, isothiocyanates & sinigrin, which stimulate the body’s defenses. All this adds up to the body’s immune defenses go on high alert for any incoming viruses.
- Antifungal – Fire Cider’s ingredients, garlic, onion, & ginger, all possess strong antifungal properties. The active ingredient in ginger, (gingerols & shoagols) also assists the liver in halting the overgrowth of Candida in the body.
- Antiviral – The allium family consisting of garlic & onions have been found to be “a useful compound in the treatment of arthritis, toothache, chronic cough, constipation, parasitic infestation, snake and insect bites, gynecologic diseases, as well as in infectious diseases (as an antibiotic)” according to this study.
- Improve Heart Health – The sulphur rich antifungal properties of garlic & onion assist in lowering high blood pressure, removes plaque from arteries, raises the HDL levels (positive cholesterol), and lowers the bad (LDL). Horseradish and hot peppers are known to improve the circulatory system & energize the body.
- Antioxidant – Fire cider is jam-packed with allyl cysteine, alliin, allyl disulfide, glucosinolate, Polyphenols, Vitamin C, Flavonoids, tannins, and curcumins, all known to possess antioxidant properties.
- Anti-inflammatory – Why are anti-inflammatories so useful? As stated in our article, “Golden Paste! Why You & Your Pets Will Benefit”, “Inflammation is the body’s response to injury, infection, disease, and exposure to chemicals. Chronic inflammation is when the body’s response hangs around long after the ailment itself is resolved”. Horseradish and turmeric are among the best anti-inflammatory agents Mother Nature has to offer.
- Pain Reduction – Turmerics Curcumin, a bioactive compound, is a natural pain reducer. Curcumin can reduce pain much the same as Ibuprofen/Tylenol and acts like anti-inflammatory drugs called cox-2 inhibitors.
- Digestive Aid – Horseradish strongly stimulates the digestive juices, ginger eases stomach upset & nausea, and cayenne is a digestive aid to stimulate gastric juices.
Microbes help feed the world. In fact, without microbes there would be no plants or animals, as all life on Earth is dependent on microbes to provide many essential services. Increasingly we are understanding there is a dependent, intimate, evolutionarily-ancient relationships with many different kinds of microbes.
For plants, vulnerable as they are to changes in their immediate environment, the services provided by microbes are critical. In their natural, unmanaged environments, all plants are supported by a vast, invisible world of bacteria, protozoa and fungi that live in and around their roots, stems, leaves, seeds, pollen, fruits, and flowers. Additional complex communities of microbes live in and on the insects, birds, invertebrates, and other animals that interact with plants and with each other. These interlocking, interdependent communities have deep evolutionary roots, reaching all the way back to the origin of multicellular organisms and the emergence of land plants and animals. Their diversity and capabilities are nothing short of astounding.
MICROBES AND PLANTS ARE INTIMATE PARTNERS IN VIRTUALLY EVERY LIFE PROCESS.
Microbes support plant health by increasing the availability of nutrients, enhancing plant root growth, neutralizing toxic compounds in the soil, making plants more resistant to disease, heat, flooding, and drought, and deterring pathogens and predators. Microbes and plants are intimate partners in virtually every life process.
With this new understanding, we at Living Ground know our products are of high and superior value. We are mimiking nature so that our plants and produce are healthy, full and hold the special medicines that help the human being.
All products in our Alchemy Category are made lovingly is our Commercial Kitchen and Apothecary POD.